Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Food costs stink!

When it takes nearly $60 to buy all the ingredients to make tacos for a family of six, our food costs suck. I could have gone to Taco Bell last night and got tacos for everyone (taco Tuesday!) and saved a bundle. To top it off, my lovely other half who said he'd put the leftovers away didn't. Thus it's Ramen for supper tonight.
I'm beginning to actually miss life as it was ten years ago. I may have been driving a crappy car and working hard in school, but at least I didn't have to worry over food costs (I had food stamps) and the thousdands of dollars in debt with medical bills we have that insurance didn't cover because long, long ago we had Medicaid.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy working. I enjoy contributing to society. But when working and contributing to society makes it harder to take care of your family financially than if you simply settled for a minimum wage job and were able to get government assistance, it really sucks ass.
Maybe one day things will change, and people will be rewarded for their hard work and contribution.

Yeah, right.

1 comment:

  1. Sweetie, beans are cheap, and I've got some tasty ideas for how to cook them. Lentils are actually better, and don't take as much pre-planning, or as long to cook. Better for you guys than Ramen.

    Other than that...Sam's Club is worth a $40/year membership for food savings alone. Or, you can come with us sometime when you have the time, and use our membership.

    (word verification: cocching--the double c keeps it from sounding like standard ch. Tee-hee.)

    ReplyDelete